All About Spelling Level 5
When you order this set of Level 5 Materials, you'll receive these two items:
Please note: In addition to the Level 5 Materials, you will also need a Basic or Deluxe Spelling Interactive Kit. The Interactive Kit contains non-consumable items that are used throughout the entire All About Spelling program.
Additional note: All About Spelling is a cumulative program that builds on concepts learned in previous levels. If you have not used the program before, please use our Spelling Placement Test to determine the best level for your child. If you decide to start in a higher level, you will need to purchase the Student Packets from all previous levels so that you have the necessary flashcards for review purposes.
Level 5 in the All About Spelling series brings together the three pathways to learning—auditory (hearing), visual (seeing), and kinesthetic (touching). This multisensory approach, combined with a built-in review system and reinforcement activities, ensures that students retain what they learn and understand how to apply it in practical situations.
In a practical, hands-on way, your student will learn:
- When to apply the I-Before-E Generalization
- How to add two suffixes to a word
- Clues for when to use tion and sion to spell the sound of /shŭn/
- How to alphabetize words to the fourth letter
- The Doubling Rule for adding vowel suffixes
- Nine ways to pluralize words
- Another way to spell /er/
- New spelling strategies that will help him tackle longer words with ease
- and more!
The multisensory learning tools and activities included in the program help your student master important spelling concepts. You'll appreciate the organization, thought and research that went into this program as you work with your student.
- Word Sort activities help your student practice the multiple ways of spelling one sound.
- The Segmenting Words activity helps your student identify the individual sounds in a word so that he can spell more easily and accurately.
- Concept-oriented spelling lists that are grouped by similar phonograms and spelling rules accelerate learning by organizing ideas in the student's mind and allowing the student to concentrate on and master one or two main concepts before moving on.
- The Make It Plural Book helps your student review, identify, and categorize ways to make words plural, including words ending in o, f, and f-e, as well as irregular plurals.
- Word Banks help your student build visual memory of words.
- The Alphabetizing Word Sheet provides practice words to reinforce the student's ability to alphabetize to the second, third, and fourth letters.
- The Writing Station activity gives your student a creative outlet for applying new knowledge. This activity provides the practice and structure he needs to achieve the goal of correct spelling outside the classroom.
- Tips for the teacher anticipate and provide answers to your questions and give you on-the-spot strategies for helping your student overcome stumbling blocks. Worked seamlessly into the lessons, tips are placed right where you need them, when you need them, so you can continue your teaching uninterrupted.
- The Homophone Pairs activity provides more practice for the student to recognize and choose the correct homophone in his own writing.
- The Progress Chart gives your student a visual reminder of how far he has come and motivates him to master the next step.
The 28 steps of Level 5 progress in a logical, sequential order. Through direct instruction, students learn exactly what they need to know in order to spell well.